These days every musical theatre performer needs a Disney standard in his or her songbook. From Mary Poppins to Aladdin, the Disney invasion is complete, and honestly, are any of us complaining? Many of these songs are written by musical theatre composers, and they tell terrific stories with charming characterization. You can really make each song your own.
However, even though the Disney trove is wide and far-reaching, people tend to sing the same songs: Home, Colors of the Wind, Out There, Endless Night. You really do need to think outside the box if you want to stand out.
Luckily, I have a toddler at home, and as we were planning a trip to DisneyWorld, we officially began her Disney education. I found myself discovering many new songs, plenty from sequels that I would never have watched on my own, and hearing the ones I already knew in a new light. The classic Disney movies are chock full of soprano songs, which you do need for shows like Mary Poppins or even Broadway's Anastasia. If you're looking for some Disney inspiration, read on to discover some gems.
1. Go the Distance-- Hercules
2. Forget About Love-- Aladdin, the Return of Jafar
3. I'll Make a Man Out of You-- Mulan
4. Some Day My Prince Will Come-- Snow White (soprano). Make this your own
5. I Wonder-- Sleeping Beauty (soprano)
6. I Won't Say I'm in Love-- Hercules
7. In a World of My Own-- Alice in Wonderland (great kids' song)
8. He's a Tramp-- Lady and the Tramp
9. For A Moment-- Disney's Little Mermaid II
10. Substitutiary Locomotion (Bedknobs and Broomsticks)
11. When We're Human (Princess and the Frog)
12. When She Loved Me (Toy Story 2)