Young Frankenstein is comprised of comedy/character-driven songs that slightly crossover between traditional and contemporary Broadway. All the Mel Brooks shows have that “ole time Broadway” feel, so don't do anything too pop-oriented from the contemporary songbook. And have fun! We always say that at The City Audition, but it's very important for this show. When Mel Brooks auditions for Broadway, actors always have to prepare a to tell a joke. Sense of humor is that important!
1. Shy (Once Upon a Mattress)
2. Repent (On the Twentieth Century)
3. What Am I Doing (Closer Than Ever)
4. Should I Be Sweet (Take a Chance)
5. Mine (On the Twentieth Century)
6. Watch What Happens (Newsies)
7. Alto's Lament (Heisler/Goldrich)
8. Here We Go Again (Big)
9. Mama Says (Footloose)
10. Can That Boy Foxtrot (cut from Follies)
I feel like no one ever does this WONDERFUL, UNDER-RATED show. If you're discovering it for the first time, you're in for a treat!
I used to think that every person pursuing a musical theatre career should be required to swing. Like a theatrical version of compulsory military duty.
Do not make typing personal. I repeat, DO NOT make typing personal.