I have a theory that Birdie is playing at some theatre across America every weekend throughout the year, with the exception of maybe Christmas and New Year's. What's not to like?
We've already posted an Audition Inspiration for 50s/60s pop musicals, which could be appropriate for this show if you're going in for a teenager. These are some musical theatre selections if you're going in for a lead, or if your production specifically asks for musical theatre, no pop. As with all auditions, have as much fun as you can!!!
1. Pharoah's Song, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
2. All Shook Up, All Shook Up
3. I Got Life, Hair
4. Nothing, Chorus Line
5. Popular, Wicked
6. My New Philosophy, Charlie Brown
7. I Enjoy Being a Girl, Flower Drum Song
8. I'm Not At All in Love, Pajama Game
9. Marian the Librarian, Music Man
10. Beautiful Girl, Singin' in the Rain
I used to think that every person pursuing a musical theatre career should be required to swing. Like a theatrical version of compulsory military duty.
Do not make typing personal. I repeat, DO NOT make typing personal.
This is a tough category for so many of us, yet absolutely necessary to be competitive today.