I went down the Fosse rabbit hole the other night on You Tube. "Rich Man's Frug" had shuffled up on my iPhone, and I realized I needed a Fosse fix. Fosse, the revue, isn't done that often, but this list of audition songs will work for just about any Fosse show. It's also a terrific resource for those fierce dancers who panic whenever they get to the singing part of the audition. These easy, fun-to-sing songs will knock it out of the park.
1. There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This from Sweet Charity
2. All That Jazz from Chicago
3. Don't Tell Mama from Cabaret
4. Bye Bye Blackbird from Liza With a Z
5. Corner of the Sky from Pippin
6. Class (a man or a woman could sing this) from Chicago
7. Mr. Bojangles from Dancin'
8. A Little Brains, A Little Talent from Damn Yankees
9. There Once Was a Woman/Man from Pajama Game
10. Zip from Pal Joey
the opportunity to learn six different endings to a show sounded like fun to me. It's possible I'm crazy. I prepared to give the audition everything I had.
Of course we all know that we should be getting lots of rest and fluids and blah, blah, blah. But auditioning in New York City-- or any city, for that matter-- frequently requires a drink to keep your sanity intact.
I can't believe that June is nearly over, especially since I'm due to have a baby-- my second!-- in early July. This means that I'll have to take a break from The City Audition for the foreseeable future.